He was hurt after a group of Mongolian wrestlers had assembled at a restaurant during a regional tour.Harumafuji was reported to have become aggravated when Takanoiwa repeatedly checked his mobile phone while the two were conversing.In addition to Harumafuji, who was forced to retire last November in the wake of the incident, Grand champion Hakuho was also present and had to defend his inability to intervene before the situation got out of control.The altercation dominated news programs and headlines for weeks. Adding to the bad publicity, the sport’s top-ranked referee was forced to resign earlier this year over a sexual harassment scandal.Shikimori Inosuke apologized to the Japan Sumo Association for allegedly kissing a teenage referee and touching him on the chest while intoxicated during a regional tour of Okinawa in December.ADVERTISEMENT “Our goal is the preservation of sumo,” committee chairman Keiichi Tadaki, a former prosecutor general, said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next GALLERY: Barangay Ginebra back as PBA Governors’ Cup kings Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours FILE – In this Sept. 16, 2017, file photo, then Mongolian sumo grand champion Harumafuji, left, pushes opponent Takanoiwa out of the ring to win their bout at the Autumn Grand Sumo Tournament in Tokyo. Takanoiwa, who fractured his skull in an altercation with former grand champion Harumafuji in a restaurant October 2017, is hoping to make a comeback at the March 11-25 Osaka tournament. (Kyodo News via AP)TOKYO — The most damage inflicted in sumo in recent times has been to the image of Japan’s tradition-steeped national sport.An alcohol-fueled restaurant brawl that left a Mongolian wrestler with a fractured skull and a sexual assault scandal involving the sport’s highest-ranked referee have rocked the sport in recent months. Those episodes followed a match-fixing investigation in 2011 and the death of a teenage wrestler in training in 2007 that have tainted sumo over the last decade.ADVERTISEMENT Inosuke said he had no recollection of the incident, and the junior referee declined to file charges.In the wake of the scandal, though, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko didn’t attend January’s New Year tournament for the first time in four years.Weeks after that, Egyptian wrestler Osunaarashi was caught driving without a license after a vehicle collision and was ordered to pay a $4,700 fine.The recent incidents are just the latest scandals to rock the sumo world.In 2011, the JSA decided to cancel the Spring tournament after revelations that 14 wrestlers were involved with match-fixing.In 2010, grand champion Asashoryu, also of Mongolia, announced his retirement following reports that he injured a man while intoxicated.In the most troubling case in 2007, the 17-year-old wrestler Takashi Saito died when he was beaten over the head with a beer bottle at the direction of his trainer.Saito’s stable master Junichi Yamamoto and three wrestlers were subsequently arrested and charged with manslaughter. In May 2009, Yamamoto was sentenced to six years in prison.The incident brought substantial political pressure to the governance of the sport in Japan.In response to the latest scandals this year, the Japan Sumo Association announced that a third-party committee has been convened and will question every member of the JSA. About 900 people, including active wrestlers and elders, will be included in the inquiry. View comments Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:24Tsukii seizes kumite Gold, focuses on making Olympics next02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina NU-La Salle rematch set this weekend as UAAP volleyball 2nd round opens Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Sea turtle trapped in net freed in Legazpi City UK plans Brexit celebrations but warns businesses may suffer MOST READ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Phivolcs records 2 ‘discrete weak ash explosions’ at Taal Volcano Organizers are hoping to restore its battered reputation when the Spring Grand Sumo tournament starts on the weekend.Takanoiwa, who fractured his skull in an altercation with former Grand Champion Harumafuji in a restaurant last October, is hoping to make a comeback at the Osaka event.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk“I’m just focusing on doing my best,” the 28-year-old Takanoiwa told reporters last week during a training session for the tournament. “It will take a bit more time to be ready.”A healthy Takanoiwa wouldn’t solve all sumo’s problems but would be a big step in the road to recovery. LATEST STORIES
Sebastian A. Gibson, Deputy Director for Administration, LDEAThough yet to be confirmed by the Senate, the acting head of the Liberia Drug Enforcement Agency (LDEA) has with immediate effect suspended three officials for “time indefinite.” The LDEA meanwhile has recruited 15 “Action Agents” (AAs), to man the entity’s facilities in Fiama, Sinkor. Those suspended have all been replaced by new employees.AAs are those referred to as “informers” in the security sector but are not employed by the government.Those suspended for time indefinite are Officer Francis Gayete, Comptroller Steve Wesseh, and Chief Accountant Malison Souh. They have been replaced by one Kokolo S. Borvor, who has been named as the new Comptroller and Benedictus Weah Kun, Chief Accountant.Additionally, the LDEA has removed Nora Johnson as Chief of Personnel; Johnette Lolemun and Deputy Chief of Personnel has also been removed and assigned to Careysburg as an officer; Iona Jallah, Chief of Logistics is removed and assigned to Margibi County to beef up the strength of officers there.On May 7, LDEA’s Deputy Director for Administration Sebastian A. Gibson, through a letter, mandated Madam Nora Johnson, then Chief of Personnel, to suspend the trio indefinitely pending the outcome of an audit to be conducted regarding “financial malpractices” at the Agency’s finance section. The three suspended individuals are all from the agency’s finance sectionThe suspended personnel have reportedly been replaced with a new batch of employees. However, the LDEA has however not spoken to the press regarding these recent appointments and dismissals.A letter addressed to each of the suspended personnel on May 7, a copy of which is in the possession of this newspaper, reads: “By the directive of the deputy director-general for Administration of the LDEA, you are hereby “suspended for time-indefinite pending the outcome of an audit conducted regarding financial malpractices at the finance section.”The letter did not name the individual or institution that conducted the audit but has ordered the affected employees to desist from all activities on behalf of the LDEA. The Agency has also asked the affected employees to turn in all the Agency’s properties in their possession, “while awaiting the audit findings.”In a related development, LDEA’s Deputy Director-General for Operations Marcus Soko on April 25, directed15 “AAs” with the agency assigned at LDEA’s headquarters, pending their official recruitment, a development which smirks of irregular hiring on the part of the Agency according to a retired security official.The 15 AAs have been assigned to man government properties, especially during night time. They are Moses K. Bono, Albert S. Gelfey, Eze C. Zean, Robert C. Kulah, C. Robert Walker Sheik Adam, James A. Teah, Jeremiah Johnson and Sam Nah.Others are Omaru Kamara, Salia Korgulah, Adama Sesay, Julius Saah, Musa Masalay and Victor G. Desheild.It may be recalled that Sebastian A. Gibson and five others were dismissed from the LDEA on September 1, 2015, for constant bribe-taking, but were reappointed by President George Weah early January this year.The LDEA had at the time charged that Gibson and others violated part-1, count 20.0 of its Code of Conduct. The affected officers were also charged with extortion from drug suspects, which is also in contravention of chapter 15 of section 15.51 of the Penal Law of Liberia, the Agency said at the time.Those officers dismissed, along with Gibson, were Prince Harris, Chief of Intelligence; Darius Davies, secretary to the Board of Internal Investigations and Professional Standards; Albert Hare, deputy chief investigator; and Eugene Quiah, chief of operations assigned in Bong County.Though former Justice Minister Frederick Cherue confirmed to the Daily Observer that he ordered the reinstatement of Gibson, Gibson’s reinstatement has, however, raised serious concerns from the public.Cherue said his action to reinstate Gibson was based on findings from a Justice Ministry special investigative committee, which recommended that Gibson and four others be reinstated, with their full salaries and benefits as they were “wrongfully dismissed.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A life coach found herself before Principle Magistrate Judy Latchman on Monday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts slapped with a fraud charge.Nazia Persaud of Lot 44 Grove, East Bank Demerara, denied the charge which stated that on July 9, 2018 at Cummings Street, Georgetown she incurred the debt of $1,264,000 by obtaining credit for airline tickets to Barbados from the Summer Time Travel Agency and did not have the means to pay.According to the facts presented in the court, on the day in question, the accused went to the Virtual Complainant, Tameshwar Jiapersaud, and obtained 10 airline tickets to travel to Barbados, which she promised to pay for when she returns. The VC booked the flights and gave the woman the tickets and was told the payment for same would be on July 26, 2018. However, when Persaud returned, she failed to pay her debt which resulted in the matter being reported and charged being laid.Jiapersaud, who is an agent at the Summer Time Travel Agency, told the court that he only received $150,000 from the accused for the tickets.Persaud, in an attempt to defend herself, also told the court that she never committed fraud but rather has some difficulty obtaining the money to be paid to the Agency, which was not intentional.As a result, Magistrate Latchman granted Persaud bail in the sum of $200,000. The case was adjourned to October 1.
In the quarter finals of the championship flight Eggers defeated Peter Debruyn. He advanced to the semi finals to take on Terry Clackson before battling Ritch Hosker in the final.Warren Haugan was the winner of the first flight. In the quarterfinals he played against Burke Lauder. He advanced to take on Len Holland in the semis before defeating Phil Krawczuk in the finals.Gene Danyluk took the win in the second flight. Percy Peterkin was his opponent in the quarterfinals. In the semi finals Danyluk played against Raul Periera, and in the finals he was victorious over Dave L’Hirondelle.- Advertisement -The winner of the third flight was Thayne Giroux. Giroux won his opening match against Cam Martin. In the semi finals he defeated Danny Rose and went on to beat Pat Pimm in the final round.
The rain has stopped for the most part across the Peace region, but Environment Canada says we should still expect more rain Sunday afternoon into Monday.Since Friday the region has been hit hard by heavy rains which have caused flooding in several areas. The hardest hit area has been the South Peace and in and around Dawson Creek.A weather station called Red Deer located south of Tumbler Ridge received the most rain at 95 mm between Friday and Saturday. One Island Lake received 84 mm, while Chetwynd received another 85 mm.- Advertisement -The Fort St. John Airport registered 71 mm of rain from Friday until Saturday and the Dawson Creek Airport received 81 mm. Tumbler Ridge had a total of 65 mm and Hudson’s Hope had the least rain in the region at 44 mm.Environment Canada is predicting more rain for Sunday as the region could see another 10 to 15 mm before the day is through.So when will it all end, the first day with sunshine in the forecast is Wednesday, when we could reach a high of 25 with a mix of a sun and cloud.Advertisement
Sculptures are really starting to take shape, and each connection to the theme of “Walk on the Wild Side” is apparent, with the inclusion of animals like bears and wolves. The pros have until August 2 to complete their work, with returning champ David Ducharme hoping to continue his reign.The sculptures will remain in the park as long as they are standing.- Advertisement –
“Police continue to investigate an incident where is it is claimed racial abuse was directed at a player during the Chelsea v Manchester City game at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, 8 December,” a spokesman for London’s Metropolitan Police said.“Officers are reviewing footage and CCTV to determine whether any offences have been committed.“Officers are in possession of the details of those reportedly involved — there have been no arrests at this time. One person has been interviewed under caution.”Chelsea suspended four supporters following the incident pending further investigations.In a strongly worded statement, the club threatened severe sanctions, including bans, saying they would “fully support any criminal prosecutions”.One of the men who was identified told the Daily Mail newspaper he was ashamed of his behaviour but denied using racist language towards Sterling, saying he had called him “Manc”.In an Instagram post following the Chelsea-Manchester City match, Sterling accused the media of helping to “fuel racism” with the way they portray young black footballers.Everton on Friday stressed they have a “zero tolerance” stance towards racism and are investigating after a video of fans singing a song about defender Yerry Mina emerged.Together with football’s equality and inclusion organisation Kick It Out, the club are looking into the footage, which includes a chant — to the tune of “Macarena” — containing racist stereotypes about the Colombia international.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Police are investigating an incident of alleged racist abuse directed at Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling © AFP/File / Oli SCARFFLONDON, United Kingdom, Dec 21 – British police have interviewed a person under caution following the alleged racist abuse of Raheem Sterling during Manchester City’s defeat by Chelsea earlier this month.The incident involving the 24-year-old occurred at Stamford Bridge on December 8 during City’s 2-0 defeat.
A trainee accountant who ended up fighting on the floor of a nightclub with her friend has been ordered to pay her €1,000.Rachel Walls was accused of attacking Arleta Kotula during a night out at the Pulse Nightclub in Letterkenny. The friends ended up grappling on the floor of the nightclub following an exchange of words.CCTV footage of the incident showed Ms Walls making contact with the injured party’s head before they were separated.Later they both fell to the floor as the row continued, Letterkenny District Court heard.Gardai had been called to the nightclub after the row between the women on January 29th, 2017.They spoke to the defendant and the injured party.Addressing the court, Ms Arleta Kotula said she had suffered an injury to the cheek and her eye. There was also bruising on her leg.She said she suffered depression as a result of the attack.Defending solicitor, Ciaran MacLochlainn said the two parties had been friends before the incident. A row had broken out in the nightclub between them and words had been exchanged.“My client pushed her away and they both fell to the floor and obtained similar type injuries.”He said the incident had been very much “handbags”.“They do not encounter each other at all now and move in different social circles,” added Mr MacLochlainn.The court was told that the defendant had €500 euro in court with her to hand over as compensation, the solicitor indicated.Judge Paul Kelly ordered that the defendant hand over €1,000 to the injured party.The money was presented in court after lunch and Judge Kelly subsequently struck the matter out against Ms Walls who has an address at 46 Liskey Road, Strabane, Co Tyrone.Trainee accountant to pay former friend €1,000 after row at nightclub was last modified: November 20th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Michael McBride is elected to Donegal County Council after meeting the exact quota of 1,464.The Independent Kilmacrennan man took a huge risk by running in Letterkenny instead of Milford.But that has paid off, with him taking the third seat in Letterkenny EA today. “It was a big decision but I think we’ve been vindicated with the decision,” McBride told Donegal Daily.On his victory, he said he was ‘over the moon’ and ready to get back to work.“I’m looking forward to getting back into the council now. We have important business to take care of in the next five years.“I would like to thank my family, supporters and al the people who voted for me and all the well wishers from all around the world.” Eighth Count update in Letterkenny:Kevin Bradley 1347Donal Coyle 1389Adrian Glackin 969 (Eliminated)Manus Kelly 1171Michael McBride 1464 (Elected)Gerry McMonagle 1003Mary T Sweeney 1057Quota: 1464, Electorate: 22,826, Turn Out: 11836, Spoiled: 130, Valid: 11706Stay up to date with all the Donegal count centres with the live blog at : https://www.donegaldaily.com/2019/05/25/donegal-daily-local-elections-2019-live-updates/Elections 2019: Michael McBride ‘vindicated’ as he takes third Letterkenny seat was last modified: May 26th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)