plaikqyg

Reports: Newcastle set to sign French playmaker for £12m

first_img Montpellier midfielder Remy Cabella is expected to move to Newcastle 1 Newcastle are set to sign Montpellier star Remy Cabella after finally agreeing a £12million fee with the French club, according to various reports.The French midfielder has been the Toon Army’s top target since the end of last season but they have consistently been frustrated in their efforts to bring in the 24-year-old.However, Montpellier president Laurent Nicollin has reportedly told French media they have finally agreed a deal with the Tyneside club.Cabella, who replaced the injured Franck Ribery’s in France World Cup squad but did not get any minutes, is expected to complete his move to the Premier League in the coming days.The French playmaker will become Newcastle’s fourth summer signing after the arrivals of Ayoye Perez, Jack Colback and former Ajax captain Siem de Jong.last_img read more

Read More
plaikqyg

Pogba says he is ‘judged differently’ in snipe at critics

first_img0Shares0000Paul Pogba has endured his fair share of criticism this season but excelled in last weekend’s victory over Man CityLONDON, United Kingdom, Apr 27 – Paul Pogba says he is “judged differently” from other Premier League midfielders after a frustrating season that has seen him dropped by Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho on several occasions.The Frenchman was widely criticised for a lacklustre display in this month’s 1-0 home loss to West Bromwich Albion that handed the title to Manchester City — the latest in a long line of disappointing efforts from the former Juventus star since his move to United two years ago. There was even talk that Mourinho had told United to put Pogba up for sale, just days after City manager Pep Guardiola said he had been offered the chance to sign the midfielder by his agent in January.But the 25-year-old has produced some improved displays in recent weeks, including a man-of-the-match performance in the comeback win at Manchester City and is looking for more of the same when Arsenal visit on Sunday.“It’s quite funny because we don’t judge me on the midfield part,” Pogba, who joined the club for a then world record fee of £89 million ($123 million), told Sky Sports.“We judge me on assists and goals and that’s the truth. I can make an outstanding game, but if I don’t score or make an assist they will say, ‘that is normal’, or whatever.“But if someone else does it, it is different. They will maybe be man of the match. I think I’m judged differently, but it’s good.”The France international, who has scored five goals and made 10 assists in the Premier League this season, said he saw the criticism as a challenge and it helped him improve.“I don’t take it in a bad way,” he said. “I’ll try to score and make assists and that’s it. I still want to do my job in midfield.“If I can help the team in attack and defence and make a difference I will do it. If I can score and assist it is even better.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Read More
plaikqyg

SNOWY OWL HAS TWITCHERS FLOCKING TO ARRANMORE ISLAND

first_imgA MALE snowy owl has made Arranmore Island its home – in a rare sighting for a bird more at home in Iceland.The bird was first seen on Wednesday, but was still present today.Ornithologists from north and south of the Border are travelling to the island today hoping to see the owl. Similar sightings on Arranmore in 1993 and on Tory on 2010 had twitchers all in a flap!The Snowy Owl is an extremely rare bird in Ireland and this is the 13th confirmed record but only the third in the last 50 years.A rare snowy owl has birdwatchers flocking from across the country to a remote island off the coast of Co Donegal.The bird was spotted in recent days on Arranmore Island and is believed to have come from either Greenland or Iceland. Dick Coombes of Birdwatch Ireland, said there is no way to know how long the bird will stay on the island for.He warned about the difficulty is posting the bird despite the fact that it is almost as large as a sheep and almost completely white.“Arranmore is a large island and the bird could easily bend into the area.“I know first hand how difficult it is as I tried to spot a Snowy Owl on Arranmore a number of years ago. Various rocks and even polythene bags could be mistaken for the bird,” he said.One person who has been lucky enough to have watched the bird for more than 30 minutes is Gerry Griffin. Mr Griffin, who is from Co Clare, but has a holiday home on the Donegal island, even managed to get a couple of its feathers.“At first I thought it was a sheep and then I noticed it moving and realised it was a snowy owl.“I watched it for more than half an hour and it was fantastic. I even managed to get a couple of its feathers from where it was roosting and I have put them in a frame,” he revealed.Mr Griffin spotted the bird in an area known as the Twin Lakes on Saturday last. The bird is understood to be a young male, perhaps between two and three years old and still has some black patches because it is not fully matured.Dick Coombes of Birdwatch Ireland says the owl, which is rare because it hunts during daylight hours, will survive on rabbits.He reveled there has only ever been one recorded attempt by snowy owls to breathe in Ireland and that was also in the hills of Co Donegal more than a decade ago.“In coming to Ireland these birds are at the very edge of their range – they much prefer places like Greenland and Canada closer to the Arctic Circle.“There is another snowy owl which regularly visits Belmullet. It would be fantastic if it mated with the Donegal owl but it is unlikely,” he said.* This picture was taken by Mike Glynn.SNOWY OWL HAS TWITCHERS FLOCKING TO ARRANMORE ISLAND was last modified: July 23rd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More
plaikqyg

Enron jury finishes Day 5 deliberations sans verdict

first_imgHOUSTON – Jurors in the fraud and conspiracy trial of Enron Corp. founder Kenneth Lay and former Chief Executive Jeffrey Skilling deliberated for a fifth day Wednesday without reaching a verdict in the premier criminal case to emerge from the company’s collapse. The panel has deliberated for about 31 hours over five days. Deliberations were to resume today. In a midday note to the judge, the panel asked for additional copies of a list of trial exhibits and asked whether it was possible to see testimony transcripts. U.S. District Judge Sim Lake said he would ask jurors to be more specific about the testimony. “I can’t really answer that question without knowing exactly what they want,” Lake said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Both defendants awaited the outcome away from the federal courthouse in Houston – Lay at his office about two blocks away, and Skilling in his legal team’s so-called “war room” in an office building across the street. Lead Skilling attorney Daniel Petrocelli remained at the courthouse, while lead Lay lawyer Michael Ramsey said he and the ex-chairman’s other attorneys planned to wait there in shifts. The eight-woman, four-man panel sent a note to Lake on Tuesday stating they don’t intend to deliberate Monday, Memorial Day. The jurors told the judge last week they would consider the case Monday through Thursday each week, the same schedule as the 16-week trial that started with jury selection Jan. 30. Skilling faces 28 counts of fraud, conspiracy, insider trading and lying to auditors and a maximum of 275 years in prison if convicted on all counts. Lay faces six counts of fraud and conspiracy with a combined maximum punishment of 45 years. Both are accused of repeatedly lying to investors and employees about Enron’s health before its December 2001 collapse into bankruptcy proceedings, when they allegedly knew accounting tricks masked losses and failing ventures. The defendants deny any wrongdoing and attribute Enron’s failure to bad publicity and lost market confidence. Lay also is awaiting a verdict in a separate bank fraud case that was tried before Lake without a jury during the first three full days of deliberations in the conspiracy case. Lake has said he will announce his verdict in the bank case after the conspiracy jury renders its decision. Lay faces one count of bank fraud and three counts of making false statements to banks regarding his use of personal loans to buy stock. Each count carries a maximum penalty of 30 years in prison.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More
plaikqyg

SHAY – I WANT TO TAKE PENALTY AT EURO 2012

first_imgShay Given wants to take a penalty if Ireland end up at a penalty shoot-out at Euro 2012.The Lifford man plans to go to manager Giovanni Trapattoni and tell him of his desire to take a spot-kick.Shay said “I’d love to do it. I haven’t been very successful saving them so maybe I should put someone else in goal and start taking a couple. I’ve experienced the downside of losing a penalty shootout against Spain. “I didn’t get to take one but I wouldn’t fear taking one.“I don’t know what the manager’s thoughts would be. Hopefully we do get to the knockout stages.“And maybe it does come down to something like that and I can save a penalty this time around and perhaps maybe take one,” said Shay.  SHAY – I WANT TO TAKE PENALTY AT EURO 2012 was last modified: April 29th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:euro 2012penaltyShay Givenlast_img read more

Read More
plaikqyg

Planning permission granted for Burtonport redevelopment

first_imgThe redevelopment of Burtonport Harbour has had a major step forward after planning permission was granted for the project.The project will improve traffic managment at the harbour with a number of measures including the demolition of buildings, removal of temporary structures/portacabins, road realignment (horizontal and vertical).The plan also involves a new ferry terminal and tourist information centre. The works are expected to cost €3million.Cllr Marie Therese Gallagher has today welcomed the granting of planning permission, saying:“This proposed project for Burtonport has been a long time in the pipeline, this is another step forward today with the granting of planning permission. “I have been working on developing this project for over 7 years, and would be hopeful that a funding package for both the development of Burtonport harbour and Arranmore Island will be passed by Government under the Rural Regeneration Scheme.”  Planning permission granted for Burtonport redevelopment was last modified: July 22nd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More
plaikqyg

Sharks look forward to home opener energy after feeling effects of Vegas’

first_imgThe Sharks were beaten to the punch Wednesday night, and they know it.Five minutes and 21 seconds into the season opener against the rival Vegas Golden Knights, they trailed 2-0.A penalty and two turnovers led to two goals, and T-Mobile Arena was rocking. The Sharks were able to claw a goal back, but they never got back even with Vegas after that start, falling 4-1.“For both those first two goals, when you turn the puck over, you’re going have it stuck in the back of your net nine times …last_img read more

Read More
plaikqyg

Western Cape citizens are invited to Play their part towards progressive change

first_imgJohannesburg, Wednesday 09 November 2016 – The College of Cape Town in the Western Cape will on Tuesday 15 November 2016 collaborate with the Play Your Part initiative to engage and encourage all citizens to play their part and contribute towards progressive change for their communities.On the 26 October 2016, Brand South Africa played its part in the Western Cape when it participated in the Rally to Read programme that helps improve education in rural South Africa. The Rally team travelled across the Western Cape to distribute reading and educational resources to disadvantaged schools. As well as applaud and further upskill teachers through the READ training programme.Returning to the Western Cape, Brand South Africa’s Play your Part is on its fourth leg and will have a similar format to the engagements in Limpopo, Port Elizabeth and Bloemfontein. Citizens will be urged to interact with the PYP cube as well as share inspirational stories and take the opportunity to pledge their time, money and skills.The Play Your Part activation is aimed at engaging with citizens to “start doing” in order to contribute actively and positively to the development of their communities. With the mandate to encourage active citizenship, Play your part aims to contribute to a South African Nation Brand where people care deeply for one another and the environment.The activation continues its partnership with SABC’s One Day leader a programme which promotes leadership and entrepreneurship within society also bringing on board a partnership with the College of Cape Town on its Western Cape journey.“Education is one of the themes driving the Play Your Part agenda this year. Brand South Africa believes that every student has a role to play in shaping their destiny and this starts with small acts of commitment and dedication toward their studies. Students have to understand the role they play in shaping and enhancing the reputation of the country through the subject choices they make”, said Brand South Africa’s general manager: marketing Ms Sithembile Ntombela.The College of Cape Town is regarded as one of the best colleges in South Africa. In 2014 the college achieved the best Mathematics results in South Africa in the National Certificate Vocational Level 4 programme. “The partnership between Brand South Africa and the College of Cape Town is to further encourage students to play their part by paying it forward for students currently in high schools, meaning they can contribute to making it easier for students who are currently in school,” concludes Sithembile Ntombela.Active citizens of the Western Cape who will lead the Play Your Part conversations include International Youth Foundation Programme and training manager  Anusha Naicker and Rahima Loghdey from the  Department of Economic Development and Tourism.Engage with the PYP Cube, Brand South Africa and its partners on #PYPCube.Media is invited to attend as follows:Date: Tuesday 15 November  2016Time: 09h00 -13h00Venue: College of Cape Town,334 Albert Rd, Salt River, CapeRSVPS/Enquiries: Ntombi NtanziEmail: ntombin@brandsouthafrica.comMobile number:  081 7041488Brand South Africa will also be able to facilitate any requests for interviews.Follow the conversation on  #SANationBrand#PYPCUBEProgramme for the Brand South Africa Play Your PartTimeTopicSpeaker09H00INTERACTION AND ENGAGEMENT WITH THE PYP CUBEBRAND SA10H35OPENING AND WELCOMEMS TILLY REDDY, ACTING DEPUTY PRINCIPAL OF COLLEGE OF CAPE TOWN10H40ADDRESS BY COLLEGE PRINCIPALLOUIS VAN NIEKERK; PRINCIPAL OF COLLEGE OF CAPE TOWN10H55BRAND SOUTH AFRICA OVERVIEWTBC11H05IYF PARTNERSHIP WITH COLLEGE OF CAPE TOWNANUSHA NAICKER, PROGRAMME & TRAINING MANAGER11H20DEDAT PARTNERSHIP WITH COLLEGE OF CAPE TOWNRAHIMA LOGHDEY, DIRECTOR SKILLS, DEVELOPMENT & INNOVATION11H35GUEST SPEAKER / ICE BREAKERTBC11H45COLLEGE OF CAPE TOWN GRADUATE12H00PTS GRADUATION AND CERTIFICATE, HANDOVER TO STUDENTSlast_img read more

Read More
plaikqyg

AMU professor booked over posts on Kashmir

first_imgThe police here have registered an FIR against an Aligarh Muslim University professor for sharing posts on social media that allegedly hurt the morale of the security forces in Kashmir. The FIR cited an inappropriate post in which Assistant Professor Huma Parveen, whose husband Naeem Shaukat is a journalist based in Kashmir, referred to the communication blackout in the Valley immediately after the abrogation of Jammu and Kashmir’s special status. “Sach mein sampark toot jana kitna khatarnak aur dukhad hota hai, chahe Chandrayaan ho ya Kashmir,” the post said on the “pain” caused by losing contact, whether it is Chandrayaan or Kashmir . The reference was to the ISRO mission that went wrong in September with lander Vikram losing contact after crashing on the moon’s surface. Hindu Mahasabha leader Ashok Pandey, who filed the complaint on November 14 over the weeks-old posts, claimed that the comment indicated that Ms. Parveen “did not consider Kashmir an integral part of India”.Ms. Parveen, from the AMU’s Mass Communication department, has been booked under sections 153-A and 505 (2) of the IPC for promoting enmity between different groups. The complaint lodged at the Gandhi Park police station alleged that the posts were “a threat to the integrity of the nation” and aimed at “harming the morale of the security forces in Kashmir”. When contacted, Ms. Parveen said, “I have not written a single post myself but have just shared a few posts published either in leading news portals or by some friends.” According to the professor, she shared these posts with her husband Naeem Shaukat, with whom she had lost contact during the communication blackout immediately after the Centre’s decision to nullify Article 370. She said she is a loyal citizen of the country and none of her shared posts even remotely suggest that she does not consider Kashmir an integral part of India. Among the posts shared by her quoted poet Rahat Indori, who said debate and dissent are the part of democracy. Another quote, attributed to Mahatma Gandhi, read, “You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy my body but you can never imprison my mind”. Mr. Pandey alleged that the posts are objectionable, and some of them tantamount to “taunting the Indian Prime Minister”. But there is no mention of a specific post to support this charge. Senior Superintendent of Police Akash Kulhari said the matter is being investigated. When contacted, AMU spokesperson Shafey Kidwai, who also heads Mass Communication department, said, “We will come into the picture only after the police files a chargesheet. The case has been filed on the basis of a complaint by a private individual.” He said all posts shared by Ms. Parveen are open to scrutiny and it is now for the police to decide whether there was any objectionable content or not.last_img read more

Read More